The WDMS NT-VK main components are the following:
- Purification group: Imhoff tanks designed to collect the wastewaters coming from the wards and to separate liquid from solid waste
- Sorting group: pumps and conduits system designed to pour the wastewaters in the decay tanks
- Decay group: decay tanks array to hold and stock the wastewaters until their radioactive level drops below a defined value
- Sampling system: valves and pumps to perform the washing of the sampling circuit and the sampling of the stocked wastewaters, allowing the measurement in Marinelli geometry
- Release group: depending on the monitoring results, the wastewaters contained in the sampled tank can be released in the sewers
- Safety groups and devices: they mainly consist in guard levels – installed in all the system critical stages – which stop the wastewaters flow in case of detected anomaly, and a safety flooding well which can collect and stock wastewaters potentially overflowing from any system group
The entire system is locally managed by a PLC, which is commanded by a remote management software installed on a PC.
Through the interactive synoptic interface of the software the operator can activate the system automatic cycles, set the measurement parameters, visualize the alarms and release archives, and monitor the system’s status (filling levels, pump stages, measurements, alarms). Depending on the measurement results, and as defined by the procedures in force, the operator can also activate the monitored wastewaters release in the sewers.